Aluminum Phosphide Poisoning; a Case of Survival

Citation:
Ramadan, N., Aluminum Phosphide Poisoning; a Case of Survival, , vol. 8, issue 1, pp. 28 - 29, 2019.

Abstract:

Background: Aluminum phosphideis a commonly used as a pesticide in Egypt and other agricultural countries to protect grains from pests. Phosphine gas (PH3) is a highly toxic gas, which is released when the tablet is exposed to humidity, causing cardiogenic shock and severe metabolic acidosis. Case presentation: A 22-year-old female patient with history of ingestion of 1 tablet of Aluminum phosphide presented with recurrent vomiting, severe hypotension and metabolic acidosis. Discussion: Although Aluminum phosphide is considered a highly toxic substance and its rate of death is very high, this case survived even after development of severe toxic manifestations like hypotension and severe metabolic acidosis. Conclusion: Aluminium Phosphide is a highly effective insecticide and rodenticide. However, it is highly toxic with high mortality rate if ingested. It produces severe metabolic acidosis and cardiogenic shock with no available antidote, so management may be the only supportive treatment

Notes:

n/a

Related External Link