Acute Tetraplegia Caused by Rat Bite Fever in Snake Keeper and Transmission of Streptobacillus moniliformis.

Citation:
Eisenberg, T., S. Poignant, Y. Jouan, A. Fawzy, W. Nicklas, C. Ewers, L. Mereghetti, and A. Guillon, "Acute Tetraplegia Caused by Rat Bite Fever in Snake Keeper and Transmission of Streptobacillus moniliformis.", Emerging infectious diseases, vol. 23, issue 4, pp. 719-721, 2017 04.

Abstract:

We report acute tetraplegia caused by rat bite fever in a 59-year old man (snake keeper) and transmission of Streptobacillus moniliformis. We found an identical characteristic bacterial pattern in rat and human samples, which validated genotyping-based evidence for infection with the same strain, and identified diagnostic difficulties concerning infection with this microorganism.