PhD Lecturer at Department of Journalism, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University
- 2007-2013 Doctoral Degree (Dr. des.) University of Erfurt. Thesis: Framing of the Underground- and State Terrosim in Egyptian and German Print Media. Grade: Magna cum laude
- 2002-2005 M.A. Thesis on the Image of Egypt and Egyptians in the German Print Media, Grade: Excellent with Honours.
- 1996-2000 B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication, Grade: Very Good with honours.
- Since November 2012 – till present: Head researcher in the BMBF-funded project “Medienkultur in Transformation” at Orient Institut Beirut, Cairo Office. www.mediacultureegypt.com
- February – May 2012 Local Coordinator for the project by Erich Brost Institut for International Journalism, TU Dortmund, entitled "Media Accountability in Transformation“ funded by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).
- October 2007-September 2011 a PhD-Scholarship Holder of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Vollpromotionsstipendium at University of Erfurt, Germany.
- July 2005– September 2007: Senior Research and Assistant Lecturer at the Journalism Department, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University.
- February 2001-July 2005: Junior Research and Teaching Assistant at the Journalism of Department, Faculty of Mass Communication, Cairo University. Activities include teaching and assisting seminars in International communication and Public opinion, and editing the section for international affairs in the students’ newspaper.
Selected Courses, Conferences and Workshops
- Reviewer for the
Journal of Middle East Media
Global Media Journal
, German Edition.
- Documentation and Press coordinator for the Cairo Climate Talks (CCT) Project, in collaboration with the DAAD and GIZ in Cairo (since December 2011 till present)
- Freelance Writer, weekly articles for the El Dustour El Asly newspaper, then El Tahrir daily newspaper (since March 2011).
- 2005-2007: Trainer in the Programme Pathways to Higher Education in the field of communication skills for B.A. and M.A. students in collaboration with the Ford Foundation (at the Center for Advancement of Postgraduate Studies (CAPSCU), Cairo University.
- November 2006 – September 2007: Editor and Translator at the German Information Centre (GIC) at the German Embassy in Cairo. Website: http://www.almania-info.diplo.de.
- August 1998: Internship at the magazine Zeitschrift für KulturAustausch (Magazine for Cultural Exchange) im Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen, Stuttgart Germany.
Member of the DAAD Expert Circle on Transformation in the Arab World
- Founding member and Egypt coordinator of AREACORE Arab-European Association of Communication Educators www.areacore.org
- Member of DAVO Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft Vorderer Orient (German Association on Middle East Studies)
- Since January 2013 – present: Young Leadership Forum for Economic and Development Issues in Egypt.
- Since March 2011- June 2012 contributing weekly articles to the liberal Egyptian online newspaper El Doustour, later renamed to El Tahrir newspaper.
- Founding member und member in the Forum Muslims in Erfurt FOME: a platform for cooperation and integration for Muslims in Erfurt. (2008-2011)
- Volunteering for the support of Iraqi Refugees in Erfurt in the Project „Engaged for Integration“, in collaboration with the Protestant Church in Erfurt. (2009-2011)